For the past few years, we have seen a number of rapid developments which have had large effects on the supply chains of goods and free flow of information in the midst of globalization and digitalization of the world economy. Notably, escalating trade tensions between major economies could undermine the increasingly integrated global economy. These trade tensions are a reflection of the large shifts in the global economic and trade landscape.
At the same time, rapid progress in digital technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the Internet of Things (IoT) are also having a significant influence not only on business activities but on government regulations, such as EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and China Internet Security Law.
In order to ensure that the global trade system continues to be the cornerstone for the stable business activities despite these big changes, the WTO needs reform, as agreed in the G20 Summit meeting in Buenos Aires. This symposium aims to discuss, from business perspective, how companies, governments and international organizations should respond to these challenges and what type of actions are imperative to maintain and strengthen a free and fair trade system.
(1) Opening Remarks 9:00 – 9:05
Representative from JETRO
(2) Keynote Speeches
1） G20 Trade and Investment Priorities 9:05 – 9:15
Speaker: Tatsuya TERAZAWA, Vice Minister, METI
2） Theme to be decided 9:15 – 9:35
Speaker: Mari Elka PANGESTU, the Former Minister of Trade of Indonesia
(3) Round Table Discussions 9:35 – 10:55
- Mari Elka PANGESTU, the Former Minister of Trade of Indonesia
- John DENTON, Secretary General of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Victor DO PRADO, Director, TNC Division, WTO
- Tatsuya TERAZAWA, Vice Minister, METI
- Nobuhiro ENDO, Chairman of the Board, NEC / Member of the APEC Business Advisory Board Council (ABAC)-Japan
Moderator: Robin Harding, Tokyo Bureau Chief, Financial Times
(4) Closing Remarks 10:55 – 11:00
Name to be decided.
- This event is free of charge.
- For attending to the symposium, please contact by March 29 (Friday):
Mr. Yusuke Narita
Director in Charge of Research Dissemination
Overseas Research Department, JETRO
- E-mail must include the attendee’s name, title, company/organization, and the e-mail address.
**The information provided by the attendees will not be used other than the improvement of the organizer’s activities and follow-up for this symposium.